Buy lots of fruits and veggies!
- Fruits and vegetables are high in dietary fiber, which can aid in lowering cholesterol levels.
Buy whole grains!
- Nutrients in whole grains promote heart health.
- Replace white bread, flour, pasta, and rice with their whole grains alternative.
- Chose whole-grain breads, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat pasta, and brown rice.
Beware of Energy or Nutritional Bars!
- Many energy and nutritional bars contain trans fat! Even if they are labeled “trans fat free,” don’t forget to check the label – manufactures are allowed to use this label even when there is ½ a gram of trans-fat or less – that may seem small, but it can add up, especially if the “nutritional” bar has more than 1 serving (your may be unknowingly eating 2 or 3 grams of trans fat in every bar).
Purchase oil that has processed to a minimal degree.
- To do this, look for oils that have been “cold expeller pressed” and “extra virgin.” These processes ensure minimal damage.
Make your own salad dressing!
- Using pure olive oil instead of buying readymade salad dressings. Many readymade salad dressings are made with damaged, over processed and inferior oils.
- Or, simply squeeze a lemon as your dressing! Or try a splash of vinegar – red wine or balsamic. That way you will cut out all fat, but still have the flavor.
- Using lemon is also a great alternative to salt.
Avoid animal fat. The highest concentration of toxins in animals is found in their fat.
- If you do buy animal meat products that are high in fat, buy organic. Look for products labeled “organic” as well as products produced with “no antibiotics, no added growth hormones and no dangerous pesticides.” Organic refers to the way foods are produced and processed without chemical pesticides and fertilizers. Since the animal fat has the highest concentration of toxins found in the animal, at least if you are eating animal fat, the toxins you are ingested will be limited.
Buy organic dairy. For the same reasons as listed above.
Avoid buying full-fat options if there are reduced-fat, low-fat or non-fat options available.
- Especially for dairy including milk and cheese.